Garvestone Primary School PSHE and RSE Curriculum Statement 2020-21
1.Aims and objectives
PSHE and Sex and Relationships Education within our school aims to provide opportunities for pupils to develop the skills, knowledge and understanding they need to lead confident, healthy, independent lives and become active and informed citizens. Information will be delivered in an accepting and honest way, which enables young people to contribute, and as deemed age-appropriate. Parents will be fully informed of policy and practice.
The sex education and relationship programme is an opportunity for pupils to:
- Develop an understanding of sex, sexuality and relationships.
- Develop a range of appropriate personal skills.
The aims will be achieved through developing an understanding of:
Attitudes and values
- To consider social and moral issues and dilemmas
- To value and respect different types of relationships
- To foster respect and responsibility for oneself/my body and for others
- To clarify myths and misconceptions
- To address stereotyping
Personal and social skills
- To acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to develop successful relationships
- To encourage self-awareness and an understanding of how their actions affect others
- To develop decision making skills, including critical thinking, awareness of choices and how to act on decisions made
- To develop communication skills with peers, parents and other adults
Knowledge and understanding
- To provide appropriate information that is relevant to the needs, age and maturity of the pupils
- To be able to recognise, acknowledge and positively deal with emotions
- To understand the physical and emotional changes associated with puberty